1. What is the purpose ofthis MSc?
«MSc in Water Resources of the Mediterranean-Graduate Diploma in Management of Water Resources in the Mediterranean." The object of this program are postgraduate Management of Water Resources in the Mediterranean climate.
2. To whom is this MSc Programme Adressed to?
Graduates higher education institutes from Greece and other countries (recognized by the Greek state) the fields Environment, Forestry, Water Resources, Natural Resources, Agricultural Sciences, Engineers, Economists and in general with an interest in water management and resources.
3. Who offers the Master Program”Management of Water Resources in the Mediterranean –MSc in Water Resources of the Mediterranean»?
The Program is implemented by the Department of Forestry and Natural Environment, TEI EMATECH. The Department of Forestry and Natural Environment in Drama was founded in 1985. Since 2001, the Department is housed in new modern premises. The basic aim of the MSc Program is to attract high quality candidates who wish to develop their skills in a unique globally MSc program, because it is for the first time a MSc program focuses on water resource management but under drought conditions and scarcity.
4. What are the aims and objectives of the MSc?
The aim of this MSc (Postgraduate Studies), is the Management and Policies of Water Resources in the Mediterranean under scarcity conditions. The main objective of the MSc is to provide education and knowledge on issues such as Water Conservation, Water Quality Testing, Water Policy and Legislation, Sustainability Power in Urban and Suburban areas in conditions of water scarcity, etc.
5. Which are the conditions and requirements, entering this MSc Program?
Graduates from higher education institutes from Greece and other Countries (recognized by the Greek state) in the fields of Environment, Forestry, Water Resources, Natural Resources, Agricultural Sciences, Engineers, Economists and in general with an interest for water management and resources.
6. Which are the key criteria’s to get accepted to this MSc Program?
- Grading:A)BSc Garduation Grade and2)the gardes in undergraduate courses which is relevant to theMSc and 3) Bachelor thesis subject.
- Knowledge of English Languague: A necessary prerequisite for participation in the selection process is certified by official holders knowledge of the English language, as evidenced by the possession of one of the following degrees: A) Greek Certificate in the English Languague, at least B2 level or equivalent, eg Lower Cambridge or Michigan, etc., B) ELTS, with a minimum of 6, gained four years before the publication of the notice. C) TOEFL, with a minimum of 180, gained four years before the publication of the notice, and D)degree from an English speaking University or a degree in English literature E) English language knowledge award administering from the language center of TEI EMATECH.
- Account taken of research and professional experience of the candidate.
- Candidate Interview
7. What is the duration of studies?
The duration for the award of M.Sc. is three (3) semesters of which the third is for the preparation of the Master thesis.
8. Which is the teaching languague and why?
The language of instruction is the English. The main reason that the courses are conducted in English is for the students to be to obtain a Master's degree in a competitive international environment . For students who hold while being one of the required qualifications in the English language ( see question 6) , others have little discretion in use of the English language and terminology required to monitor the Master will provide special free English language courses , integrated into the monitoring program of the Master .
9. Which is the structure of the Graduate Program?
During the postgraduate studies, students are oblicated to follow all postgraduate courses, participation in laboratory exercises etc and the submission of the dissertation. Detailed curriculum is as follows:
First Semester Compulsory Courses
- GIS and Remote Sensing in Water Resources (6 ECTS)
- Ecohydrology and Protected Areas (6 ECTS)
- Water Policy, Planning and Economics (6 ECTS)
- Adapted Watershed Management (6 ECTS)
- Statistics in Water Resources (6 ECTS)
Total: 30 ECTS
Second Semester Compulsory Courses
- Urban Sprawl and Sustainable Water Management (6 ECTS)
- Flood and Drought Cycles: Implications in Water Management (6 ECTS)
- Hydrologic Modeling and Geoinformatics (6 ECTS)
- Climate Change and Green Technologies (6 ECTS)
- Water Quality and Water Scarcity Conditions (6 ECTS)
Total: 30 ECTS
From the completionof the Master Thesis, the studentgets rewarded with 30 ECTS.
From the above mentioned, the completion of the MSc, 90ECTS are required.
These ECTS are allocated: 30 in the first semester30 in second semesterand 30 the third semester (Master Thesis).
The total number of courses in thePostgraduateprogram thatthe student must attend is ten (10), of which all ten are compulsory subjects. Each course is six (6) credits,taught four (4) hours per week. Also,the studentshould write/construct and present a Master Thesis, which will be under the supervision of specific Msc Professors.
The Master Thesisissupportedbypublic proceedings facing a three-member examination committee appointed by the Department of Forestry and Natural Environment ofthe MScin which thestudentsSupervisor and two (2) other Professors are present.
10. Aretherescholarship opportunities and under what conditions?
There will be a limited number of scholarships on the basis of the family income of the scholarship candidate and the final undergraduate mark.
11. Which are the total costs of the Program? How often is the tuition paid?
The total cost of the Postgraduate Program is 3.200 € for EU residents and 5.000€ for Non EU residents, payable in four equal payments over a period of 16 months, with the first payment being paid simultaneously with the registration.
12. Faculty Staff?
In the Postgraduate Program specialized Professors that educate mainly on international legible level and posses a PhD with a worldwide recognized research, professional and educational experience. These Professors come from the U.S., Europe and Greece. The student has the possibility of personal contact with the lectures to get support regarding academic issues.
13. Why choose the Postgraduate Studies Program "Management of Water Resources in the Mediterranean?
It is worldwide known that water is the most important natural resource..
The graduates from this Master Program are to have great job opportunities in Greece and as well as abroad, after their graduation. Numerous local and international organizations, businesses ,public bodies and authorities related to water management issues , is indisputable that they will show high interest in hiring graduates from this particular MSc , given that there are no other relevant to this subject postgraduate program worldwide .
It is also expected to be high demand for the graduates of this Program from companies and organizations from all Mediterranean countries of Europe, Asia and Africa, especially in countries of the Middle East.
It should be noted that there will be, for the graduates of the Postgraduate a special attention and job placement assistance to Greek and foreign organizations, a special office agent which will help the graduates, that has been placed for this purpose.